Thursday 6 March 2014

This is a Story All About...Music

Limiting a list of the most meaningful, inspirational, life changing, whatever you want to call it, albums that have had an affect on you is a very daunting task and it is most certainly not an easy one. But what I like about this new Facebook album status trend, is that it's supposed to be done quickly.

I think of music as a gateway to the soul. (Cheesy, I know) But seriously, to publicly tell people a list of albums that have had a significant meaning to you over the years, is such a personal thing and truly tells you about someone. One of the questions you ask someone when you first meet them is “what kind of music are you into?” It sounds like a simple question, but in its essence it is so much more complex. And what I also like about this list is that it makes you wonder why? All you have to do is ask someone why he or she picked a specific album and there is a story on its own. So I thought I would tell you a little about myself with my list (no particular order) and make you wonder why...

Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism
The Kooks - Inside In/Inside Out
Florence and the Machine - Ceremonials
Classified – Self Explanatory
Backstreet Boys – Backstreet’s Back
Shad - TSOL
Of Monsters and Men – My Head is an Animal
City and Colour - Sometimes
Freelance Whales - Weathervanes
Wu-Tang - Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers
Dashboard Confessional – Alter the Ending
Across the Universe – Soundtrack
The Killers – Hot Fuss
Notorious B.I.G. – Ready to Die
The Pogues – the very best of…

Some have more significance than others, but the bottom line is if I had to be stuck somewhere with only these albums to listen to…I would be fine.

And on that music note… here is a video I prepared to become Live Nation’s next Nokia All Access Correspondent. 

Basically, this is my dream job. To attend concerts, write about them, take pictures and videos, interview the artists, interact with other fans, just be there in the moment and love every minute of it. How could any music enthusiast not want to do that? Even if I don’t win, I appreciate the companies who give people this kind of opportunity. Both of these projects reminded me why I want to have a career in the entertainment industry and to keep working towards my dreams.

"Music should go right through you, leave some of itself inside you, and take some of you with it when it leaves."
                                 - Henry Threadgill

No comments:

Post a Comment