Monday 2 April 2012

The Beat Down Under

I apologize for not posting in the past couple of weeks. My school year came to an end on Thursday, so I was focused on that and now I will do my best to keep up with the weekly posts. So continuing on...

Similar to the scene in Canada, hip hop in Australia began in the early 1980s and has only really began to build in the past couple of years. Other than listening to it on the internet, Australian hip hop is not something you hear on our local radio stations. So why not give you a chance to hear some hip hop from somewhere other than North America.

The first hip hop group I’ve ever heard from Australia was Hilltop Hoods. I also realized the other day that I just missed their show in Toronto Mar. 22, boo.  They are from Adelaide, South Australia and formed in 1991.  Their latest album, Drinking from the Sun, was released on March 9.




Listen to Hilltop Hoods - I love it feat. Sia off Drinking from the Sun album.
Visit their website

I found a great article highlighting another one of Australia’s top hip hop groups right now and the difference between their style and North American hip hop - Bliss and Eso.  They're also the first Australian hip hop act to tour the U.S. Read the article about Bliss and Eso here. Bliss and Eso stated, "We've found real differences when we have toured in North America." "We've found that turntableism and beat boxing is very rare over here, so the crowds always seem to love it when we pull it out in the shows," said Bliss and Eso. (Music video included in article.) Bliss n Eso played on Wed. March 28 alongside Big B in Whistler.

Listen to Bliss and Eso - Coastal Kids from Running on Air album.
Visit their website here.


I enjoy listening to both groups and find some similarities in the music to North American hip hop. However, they bring their own sound and lyrics that are different and I appreciate that. Also, it seems like seeing/hearing one of their live shows would be a great experience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment