Sunday 12 February 2012

5 Pointz - NYC


In June 2007 I had the opportunity to travel to New York City, one of my top picks for places to see. I was dancing at Fascination Dance Studio in Thorold, ON at the time and my competitive ballet team had qualified to compete at the World Dance Championships. Before leaving for my trip I thought, 'Hey, NYC is home to hip hop.' It was after googling something along the lines of 'graffiti places in NYC' I came across a legal outdoor gallery called 5 Pointz. I somehow convinced my friends and my mom to take the NYC subway and travel to the Queens neighbourhood of Long Island City (not having any real clue of how to get there), but as you can see by the pictures we made it. 

5 Pointz - NYC

5 Pointz is a full city block, 200, 000 square foot factory building that is 5 stories high and is covered in graffiti. The name signifies the five boroughs (townships) of New York City coming together as one. The place is legal and artists who are interested in having their work on the building have to be reviewed and granted permission by the gallery curator Meres One. Jonathan Cohen, "Meres One," is a graffiti veteran and the founder of 5 Pointz. His main goal is to convert the building into a graffiti art museum as long as redevelopment does not happen. Artists from all over the world (well known and novice) have traveled to paint at 5 Pointz and add to the colourful walls. The building is free to the public and anyone can go walk around it. It has become a hangout for local residents and has become a place of hip hop. Graffiti artists, rappers, DJs and B-Boys often gather on site. Several known graffiti writers such as Stay High 149 and Tats Cru, as well as Hip Hop stars Kurtis Blow and Mobb Deep have visited the warehouse. 

Pictures I took at 5 Pointz (2007):


If you ever plan on traveling to New York City I highly recommend visiting 5 Pointz. Even if you are not an artist or have no interest in graffiti, you will be amazed by the building and the work that exists on these walls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment